Monday, August 31, 2009

One shirt= two dresses

I hope this is the first of many refashioning projects. I now find myself not being able to look at things the same way anymore. If it is time to get rid of it I wonder what else it could be. If I see something in the thrift stores I analyze it to see if it could have new life.
I found a ladies blouse that I would never wear in a million years. I thought the print would be sweet for a little girl. I snatched it up for .50 at Goodwill.



I took the whole thing apart cutting as close to the seams as possible and saving every piece.



I found this tutorial very helpful in making the first dress. I was able to reuse the buttons as they were. I opted not to change the waist more for saving time but hope to try it next time. I also added a belt/tie around her waist. It is a little hard to see. Perhaps I should have done something contrasting for that.

Dress 1:



Dress 2:



I got the idea of using the sleeves here. Instead of using the collar for straps I decided to make halter ties. My model was being silly so this is best shot I have. I actually liked how the buttons were offset.
Here is a back view:

Hopefully I will have more to post soon as my "to sew" pile is growing quickly.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

It's amazing what a gaudy old lady shirt can be refashioned into. I love it!!

April said...

Thanks for your comment - here is an eBay seller I tracked down that has had some in the past. You could check with them. ?? Otherwise, etsy and perhaps even Flickr would have people selling some. It's a Japanese import fabric (the sleeping beauty print)... I bought my fat quarter scrap from a fellow Sewing Mama on www.sewingmamas.com

http://shop.ebay.com/nuno.plus/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1